1. Employment
The unemployment rate in the U.S. is at an all-time high - rising from 6.1 percent to 6.5 percent in October. At least 10.1 million Americans are jobless right now. What's worse is that those who just lost their jobs do NOT expect to be recalled to their original positions. This current Bureau of Labor Statistics article explains the situation in detail.
In candid conversation with one of my operations supervisors tonight, I learned that UPS may be up for layoffs. Since we are given benefits by seniority (i.e. whoever was here first stays here), anyone on the bottom of the totem pole may potentially lose their job - me being one of these people. In my functional area, I'm second from the bottom in seniority. I've been with the company for three years, but that doesn't mean my job is secure. Drivers are the first to be laid off - but that means they can take on any part-time position they want. For example, I may be laid off, and a driver laid off from his job could take my position in the sort.
Not fair, right?
But it doesn't matter. Seniority rules here. All those new guys they hired - they're the first to go. We're barely meeting budget at our location, and we're being encouraged to punch out earlier. My ops director is getting pressure from the top to cut jobs. First our time will get cut - then our positions will be cut.
That's scary.
When a company as big as UPS is facing layoffs, you KNOW the economy is in a bad place right now.
2. Health Insurance
Everyone in Massachusetts is required to have health insurance. If they cannot afford it, they can take up a plan offered by the state (as long as they are part of a certain income bracket). Otherwise, they face tax penalties. Information for 2009 is outlined here.
If I get laid off, I lose my health benefits. I've already lost them from November to January, since I wasn't able to work the required 225 hours during the July, August, and September quarter. I will have to pick them up through COBRA, which stipulates that I have to pay 110% the premiums that my union was covering in order to maintain my benefits. But once I become eligible for them again, I will only have to pay dues to cover myself.
That's a lot of money - I think $500 per individual.
And sadly, I will have to pay this if I lose my job. Corporate doesn't give a damn; they're not unionized so it doesn't matter whether or not people such as myself are cut. More money for them . . .
What's worse is that going onto a state plan would mean I wouldn't have the same level of access to doctors that I have now on my current plan. I'd have to pay more out-of-pocket costs, my deductible would be higher, and because I'm technically more at risk to use insurance than normal people (because of my injury), my premium would be much higher. My income is too high for me to qualify for free plans anyway (despite being a full time student and working 20 hours a week).
3. Massachusetts Tolls
There's been a proposal to raise toll fares for the tunnels (Ted Williams Tunnel, for instance) from $3.50 to $8.50. The voting for it happens pretty soon.
If this does happen, people will be going the long way around the airport and using local roads to get home from UPS. If we were to use the toll booths every night after the raise (also if this happens), then it wouldn't make working at UPS worth it. I earn $50 weekly after everything is taken out of my check. Tolls would cost about $50 leaving the airport every night. There's no point in working at UPS if this happens.
Employment and health insurance are major issues that everyone is facing right now. As if the economy wasn't enough to think about . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment