Sunday, February 6, 2011

New Year - Part 2

So many changes in the last month - I can't believe it's already February!

Which brings us to Lunar New Year - Year of the Rabbit! Gong xi fa cai / gong hei fat choy!

It's been three days since the New Year fell on February 3. My family has yet to go out for dinner, mainly because my mother and brother have contracted flu-like symptoms. When we all do end up meeting up, I look forward to the red envelopes and good food!

As for changes, Friday, February 4 was my last day at the night job. I am melancholy from resigning, mainly because I'll miss the people who've become my family (albeit dysfunctional) in the sort, but in the end, it is a necessary professional step. I was invited to come back to the company in the future, which is a sign that I've established long-lasting ties from working well with my team and upper management. There's no end to the possibilities, should the economy fail again and I find myself needing employment.

In other news, I was away on business during the last full week of January for a kick off meeting. I learned a great deal about the other business units in our organization, and made some connections with the various teams I work on. I was also nominated and won an award presented by the leaders of the Commercial organization. I was awarded for "Vying to be better than yesterday," one of the themes of our mission. All in all, a very productive and professionally satisfying week that has opened more doors for me.

I'm determined to start working out again too. In addition to needing to be fit by the time AS's wedding is in June, I am finding that my mind works better when I feel better physically. I've always been a big fan of yoga (and any exercise that emphasizes motion by using the body as resistence). Since I've been working 14-16 hour days, I hadn't had much time during the week to really get into shape (unless it was snowboarding or TKD, but doing those activities only once a week resulted in soreness from lack of practice each day). I've started the 21 day Yoga Challenge, as a commitment to getting myself fit again. And in doing so, I'm following the sequences at this link (which actually have been helpful):

http://21daychallenge.yogajournal.com/

I've found that my flexibility has been increasing and my body is starting to remember what resistance was. Soon enough I can get myself back in the dojang to start training for the school World Championship, and perhaps doing some triathlons (if I can condition myself to be a good runner again). I do want to work on my strengthening my legs, particularly because I have become fond of snowboarding. So, we'll see how much I can fit in before the winter is over.

I hope that within the reaches of both the Julian new year and the Lunar New Year that I'm able to achieve some of the goals I've set for myself. It's going to be tough, but if it were easy, would any of this be meaningful?

I know that it wouldn't. Discipline is what I'll need to concentrate on over the coming weeks.

Anyway, wishes for wealth, prosperity and good health for the coming year!

1 comment:

Marley said...

Good luck to the 21 day challenge! If anyone could do it-it would be you!